Here are my best tips for what to wear and what not to wear for your engagement session!
Don’ts for Engagement Session Outfits
- Beware the sloppy jean syndrome. You know the type- faded wash, saggy fit, worn knees. Leave them at home people.
- Wrinkled anything. Nothing feels quite as messy as a wrinkled shirt or rumpled dress. If you’ve chosen a material prone to creases, you might want to hang it for the drive and change once you get to our location.
- Don’t neglect the shoes. You don’t have to wear heels and dress shoes, but make sure your footwear is appropriately fancy enough for the rest of your outfit.
- Loud prints. This is probably my personal preference showing, but I think you should rethink the bold, black and white chevron dress. Subtle patterns can be great and add a little texture to your look, but be careful.
- Matchy matchy-ness. Think coordinating colors rather than matching. Two people in navy stripes or two turquoise shirts in one picture is a lot. If one of you is wearing a pattern or an eye catching color, let the other wear a more subtle color to pair with it.
- Mismatched formalities. Make sure you guys are at the same level of fancy for your pics. We don’t want to see one of you looking like vogue and the other like a hayseed.
Dos for Your Engagement Session Outfits
- Wear something that feels familiar and comfortable. Even if you’re buying new clothes for your session, buy a silhouette that you already love or a color you know works for you. Your engagement session is not a great time to try a new trend.
- Try on your outfit options and have someone take a picture of you. It sounds crazy, but just a quick iPhone picture can help you visualize better than the mirror will.
- Think about where and how you’ll be using your engagement pictures. Are you doing Save the Dates? Are you planning to hang them in your house? Having an idea of where these photos will go will determine the colors and the vibe you decide to go with.
- Go for colors that coordinate rather than match.
- A good fit counts for a lot! Wearing an outfit that’s fits perfectly not only looks great on camera, but will make you feel that much more confident.
- Consider where we’re doing your portrait session. Is it a sunrise session in Historic Philadelphia or are we doing sunset on the beach? Your location will inform how dressed up your look will be as well as the colors and textures you choose.
I hope these tips were helpful to you in determining what to wear for your engagement session! If you have any thoughts or questions about engagement sessions or outfits for your engagement session, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section!